You are here

History

Local 649 and our employers, SaskPower, SaskEnergy and Westmoreland had their beginnings when everyone was, at that time, was known as SaskPower.  At that time, UNIFOR was known as CEP and prior to that the Electric Utilities Employee's Union.

In the 1950's we had our first agreement between the newly formed Electric Utilities Employee's Union chartered by the Canadian ongress of Labour and Saskatchewan Power Corporation.

By the 1960's our union had merged and joined an international union, the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers International Union.  They represented all employees' at Saskatchewan Power Corporation.

In the 1990's things changed for our employer......who split into three companies, SaskPower, TransGas and Provincial Gas.  As well, or union underwent a change and was known as the Energy and Chemical Workers Union (ECWU).

Not to be outdone, the 90's provided even more change.  Our employers were now SaskPower and SaskEnergy (combining TransGas & Provincial Gas).  As well, ECWU merged with the Communications Workers of Canada and the Canadian Paperworkers in 1992 to form the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada.

In September 2013, CEP merged with Canadian Autoworkers of Canada to creat a new union - UNIFOR - uniting more than 300,000 members from two of Canada's largest unions.  UNIFOR is Canada's largestprivae sector union!